If you have equivalent supplies to those listed below, you may bring them. (I mix my greens – the reason for so many blue and yellows.)
- Precut mat to fit your paper size(s).
- Drawing board or watercolor block of 140# paper, D’Arches preferred.
- Bulldog clips, tape, or thumbtacks if needed to secure paper to board.
- Paper: 140# D’Arches cold pressed and rough paper – single sheets (or block no smaller than 12×16).
- Brushes: 1 inch Aquarelle, #6 or #7 or #8 round, #5 rigger or script. OPTIONAL: 1 ½ inch flat, large round (#26 or larger, any brand), #4 “signature” brush.
- Plastic container for water, at least one pint.
- Spray bottle for water.
- Palette and these tube colors:
Daniel Smith Extra Fine Watercolors: Aureolin, New Gamboge, Quinacridone Gold, Quin. Burnt Orange, Permanent Brown, Quin. Rose, Carmine or Permanent Alizarin Crimson, French Ultramarine, Cobalt Teal Blue, Cerulean Blue (not Cromium), Green Gold,
Any brand: Burnt Sienna or Burnt Umber, Cobalt Blue
Holbein: Cobalt Blue Hue (Tint) [it has Thalo blue in it], Manganese Blue
Windsor & Newton: Transparent Yellow
OPTIONAL hues: Thalo Blue*, Hansa Yellow,
- 1 Sheet Watermedia Polyester Film – 18×24 or 22×30 (Cheap Joe’s or your local art store).
- Notepaper and/or sketchbook, pencil, soft eraser.
- Pocketknife or credit card piece.
OPTIONAL, seldom used materials: salt, masking tape, masking fluid, old brush, small piece bar soap, pick-up eraser
Some Places to shop besides your local art stores:
Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff: 1-800-227-2788 or www.cheapjoes.com. He carries his own brand of watercolors (which
I don’t use because I can’t relate to his tube colors)
Dick Blick: 1-800-828-4548 or www.dickblick.com
Jerry’s Artarama: 1-800-827-8478 or www.jerrysartarama.com 800-827-8478
*When you read the manufacturer’s name in front of a color, it most likely is a phthalo hue. For example: Windsor Blue or Windsor Green, Rembrant Blue or Rembrant Green. Rembrant Blue Green is a combo of both Phthalos – blue and green! Phthalo (thalo) is found in the “ingredients” of most greens and some blues. Cobalt Blue Hue by Holbein has Phthalo in it, as does Maimerie brand Primary Blue-Cyan. Phthalo is found in most sap greens, Hooker’s greens, and Viridian. (Hooker’s also has black.) Interesting.
You can replicate Daniel Smith’s Green Gold by mixing any brand of Aureolin Yellow with WN Green Gold (not on my list). Try mixing Burnt Sienna + Alizarin to make your version of Permanent Brown.